Test of English as a Foreign Language is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities. The test is accepted by many English-speaking academic and professional institutions
The TOEFL test measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level. And it evaluates how well you combine your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks.
Only the TOEFL test prepares you for the academic English requirements of a university. Test questions combine reading, listening, speaking and writing skills just as in an academic classroom. Studying for the TOEFL test helps ensure you arrive at university better prepared than others who have not taken the TOEFL test.
Who Takes the TOEFL Test?
Students planning to study at a higher education institution
English-language learning program admissions and exit
Scholarship and certification candidates
English-language learners who want to track their progress
Students and workers applying for visas
Two Types Of Test Formate of TOEFL
1. Internet test (TOEFL iBT)
– A reading section of between 60-100 minutes which involves reading 3-5 passages, containing 12-14 question in each
– A listening section of between 60-90 minutes which involves 6-9 passages, containing 5-6 questions in each
– A speaking section which lasts 20 minutes and involves 6 spoken tasks
– A writing section which last 50 minutes and involves 2 tasks which need completion
2. Paper-based test (TOEFL PBT)
– A listening section of between 30-40 minutes consisting of 3 parts
– A structure and written expression section lasting 25 minutes which includes 15 exercises of sentence completion and 25 examples for error identification
– A reading section which lasts 50 minutes and includes answering 50 questions about passages
– A writing section which lasts 30 minutes, which involves one written essay containing around 250-300 words
The cost of doing the TOEFL test varies between different countries, ranging from Rs.12000 to Rs.17000.